Monday, March 8, 2010

A Down Economy

I knew when I moved to South Dakota that it would be tough to find a job similar to what I was doing in California. There is just not the same sort of industry available in this part of the country. Almost everything revolves around hospitality/tourism, agriculture or healthcare.

In August I got a position working in the sales department for a UK based clinical diagnostics company. I was excited. It sounded like a decent career path and many of my former clients were medical device companies. I felt I could handle the industry change. What I couldn't handle... was corporate headquarters inability to understand the scope or size of the US market. In the end I was covering seven states and putting around 1500 miles on my odometer a week. That coupled with the fact that they wanted to put me in a division that covered a target market that did not exist in this geography made me (for the first time in my life) quit a job out of sheer frustration.

So now I have to figure out how to live where I want to live while earning a living wage. I have applied for quite a range of positions. Everything from a wine Tasting Room Manager to an Economist. I have a well rounded background and stellar education but I have been in a very specific field for most of my career.

I don't know what my next step in my career may be. For now I'll just enjoy the beauty around me and be thankful for what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment