Thursday, February 18, 2010

Home in South Dakota



In March of 2009 when my boss had to lay me off (I'm not sure who it was harder on) I mentioned, off the cuff, that I might go visit my mother in South Dakota.


"Kiss your social life goodbye." he quipped. He couldn't have been more wrong.


When I got to Deadwood my mother and her boyfriend made a bet that I would be bored and leave within six months. They were wrong as well.


All my life I have lived in very large urban areas. New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm used to fine dining, easy access to anything I want, farmer's markets, Trader Joe's, shopping, delivery, 75 degree weather... you get my meaning.


I don't have any of that here. No mall just a Wallmart. (I know, it's an evil institution but sometimes you need hairdye or electronics.) I can't find veal chops to make butterflied veal stuffed with prosciutto and sage and god help me find a good piece of non-farmed, non-dyed salmon. There is no recycling program.


But for the lack of the amenities that I am used to, I love the Black Hills. I look out the window every morning and whether it is snowing or sunny I can't help but be in awe of the beauty of this place.


This is the life of a city girl living in a town with a population of 1200. Welcome to Deadwood, SD.

No comments:

Post a Comment